The BCHC proposes that standards must be enforceable and legislated while meeting the following standards:
Improve Quality of LTC
- All homes must provide a safe, secure home-like environment for residents that meets their care needs.
- Support the cognitive, emotional, social and cultural well-being of residents.
- Increase staffing levels to provide sufficient staffing and an appropriate staff mix to meet the care needs of residents and support for the staff.
- Require a minimum care standard for daily hands-on care that provides for residents' care needs.
- For Indigenous peoples, the LTC program must respect the unique cultures of the communities.
Improve LTC Accountability
- Provide meaningful recourse for residents, substitute decision makers and staff when care needs are not met.
- Include the right for the public to appeal the awarding of LTC licenses.
- Track how the funding provided has been spent to improve quality, oversight and access to LTC
Take Profit Out of LTC
- Federal funding must provide funding for public and non-profit LTC, and support to expand public and non-profit LTC.