Job Posting: Organizer – BC Health Coalition
Date posted: August 26, 2019
Closing date: September 23, 2019
Job type: Full-time permanent
Compensation: This is a full-time, unionized position at 37.5 hours per week. Compensation is $38.49/hour, plus benefits and matching RRSP contributions.
Start Date: November 4, 2019 (or sooner, if possible)
Location: Vancouver, B.C., unceded traditional Coast Salish Territories
The BC Health Coalition is looking for an experienced organizer to work with coalition members on our campaigns to strengthen public health care in B.C.
The Organizer works with a passionate community of public health care advocates across the province and a small but mighty staff team of 3 to strengthen and defend public health care. From advocating for better health care at the community level, to fighting a legal challenge against medicare, to working with elected officials on policy change, the Organizer position plays a vital and exciting role.
If you've got a talent for building relationships with people and organizations, a quick strategic mind, and a passion for helping people to take action for a better health care future, this position could be for you.
We welcome and value the contributions individuals who identify as members of equity seeking communities bring to our organization, and encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people identifying as LGBTQI, members of visible minorities, immigrants, and people with disabilities to apply. We recognize that this list is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for employment equity.
● Participate in daily strategic decision making related to emerging health care issues and campaign activities
● Identify, recruit, and support local leaders on coalition campaigns
● Develop and coordinate short-, mid-, and long-term campaigns with coalition partners
● Maintain institutional relationships and form new connections with partner organizations/stakeholders
● Organize events and activities in communities, such as public forums, press conferences, etc., which occasionally includes traveling outside the Lower Mainland
● Coordinate coalition social media presence to engage with members and the public on health care issues
● Maintain NationBuilder database and websites
● Act as spokesperson, as required
● Design print and online communications materials
● From time to time, support and coordinate other staff people
● A demonstrated passion for public health care, social services, and community organizing
● Experience in a campaign setting (political or non-profit)
● Excellent verbal and written communications skills
● Self-directed, self-motivated, and ready to take initiative in identifying gaps and finding and implementing solutions, involving other team members as needed
● Willingness to test ideas and step outside your comfort zone
● Well organized and comfortable working with online platforms such as Google docs, Facebook, Google Hangouts, shared calendars, etc.
● Experience using Customer Relationship Management (“CRM”) software, such as NationBuilder
Bonus points if you have:
● Policy analysis experience
● Government relations experience
The BC Health Coalition (www.bchealthcoalition.ca) is a provincial network of organizations and individuals that champion the protection and expansion of Canada’s universal public health care system. Founded in 1994 as a consensus-based non-partisan organization, we work to build diverse support and engagement in our campaigns through outreach, education and action.
The BC Health Coalition is a unionized work environment. Staff are members of the BC Union Workers’ Union, and are covered by a collective agreement. Staff report to the coalition Steering Committee.
If you’re interested in this position and meet the requirements please e-mail a resumé and a one-page cover letter detailing why you’d like to work with us.
Please send this email with the subject line “Application: Organizer” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a continuous basis until posting closes September 23, 2019.
When submitting your application please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as: "Ann_Li_Letter.pdf" and "Ann_Li_Resume.pdf."
The BC Health Coalition thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.