Job Posting: Campaigner
Date posted: August 11, 2020
Closing date: August 30, 2020
Job type: 30 hours/week, one year contract for maternity leave
Compensation: $41.48/hour plus benefits and RRSP contributions or cash in lieu
Start Date: October 5, 2020
Expected End Date: Tentative October 2021
Location: Vancouver, B.C., unceded Coast Salish Territories but would consider a remote worker located anywhere in Canada
The BC Health Coalition is looking for an experienced campaigner to help lead a vibrant and effective coalition of over 800,000 members working to strengthen public health care in B.C. The Campaigner is responsible for designing and delivering campaign, communications, and government relations strategies in close collaboration with coalition members.
The BC Health Coalition is a leading voice on public health care in B.C. Together we have won multiple campaigns at the local, regional, and provincial levels to strengthen and defend public health care. From working with elected officials on policy change, to supporting grassroots community organizing, to helping defend medicare in Supreme Court, the Campaigner position plays a central role in our exciting work.
If you love working in a fast-paced campaign environment, have a talent for building relationships with people and organizations, and a passion for helping people to take action for a better health care future, this position could be for you.
We welcome and value the contributions individuals who identify as members of equity seeking communities bring to our organization, and encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, members of visible minorities, immigrants, and people with disabilities to apply. We recognize that this list is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for employment equity.
Some great things about working at BCHC:
- Direct involvement in meaningful work that makes a concrete difference in people’s lives
- Challenging and rewarding role in a flexible work environment
- Coalition structure provides opportunities to work closely with a wide range of experts in multiple disciplines and areas of issue expertise
- Opportunities for professional development
- Work in collaboration with a small, motivated and friendly staff team
- Ability to work from home and remotely
- Provide leadership in development, delivery and evaluation of regional and province-wide campaigns
- Participate in daily strategic decision making related to emerging health care issues and campaign activities
- Provide leadership in organizational development including strategic planning and capacity-building with coalition membership
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with key labour and community partners locally, provincially and nationally
- Conduct coalition media relations
- Coordinate coalition government relations
- Identify, recruit, and support local leaders on coalition campaigns
- Produce high quality written materials including policy briefs, campaign documents, news releases
- Develop, deliver and evaluate communications strategies
- Act as a spokesperson in the media and at public events
- Oversee health policy research projects as needed
- Leadership experience in a campaigning/advocacy setting
- Experience in election campaigning
- Knowledge of effective use of digital organizing and campaign tools
- Demonstrated ability to effectively analyze political and policy scenarios to develop strategic campaigns that deliver concrete results
- Experience with media relations and government relations
- Ability to thrive in a highly cooperative coalition environment that requires maintaining multiple relationships and collaborations
- A demonstrated passion for public health care
- Knowledge of B.C.’s political and media environments
- Experience with and/or knowledge of community and labour sectors
- Experience with coordinating staff and/or volunteer teams
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to be self-directed and self-motivated when leading projects independently
- Willingness to test ideas and step outside your comfort zone
- Comfortable working with online platforms such as Dropbox, Google, NationBuilder, Zoom, etc.
- Bonus points if you have:
- Policy analysis experience
- Experience working in a coalition environment
The BC Health Coalition (www.bchealthcoalition.ca) is a provincial network of organizations and individuals that champion the protection and expansion of Canada’s universal public health care system. Founded in 1994 as a consensus-based non-partisan organization, we work to build diverse support and engagement in our campaigns through outreach, education and action.
The BC Health Coalition is a unionized work environment. Staff are members of the BC Union Workers’ Union, and are covered by a collective agreement. Staff report to the coalition Steering Committee.
If you’re interested in this position and meet the requirements please email us your resume and a one-page cover letter. Please send this email with the subject line “Application: Campaigner” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in your cover letter: your experience and skills that relate to the position qualifications and tell us briefly about one campaign you were involved in, the impact it had, and what you learned from it.
When submitting your application please combine into one document and name it with your first and last name in the title, such as: "Ann_Li_Application.pdf"
Applications will be considered on a continuous basis until the posting closes on August 30, 2020.
The BC Health Coalition thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.