The BC Health Coalition joined partners across the country in calling for the federal and provincial/territorial governments to work together and urgently create national standards to improve LTC.
We are asking Ottawa for ongoing and sufficient federal funding for provincial LTC programs that meet national standards, including:
- Quality: Create standards for a staffing program that increases the staffing levels and meets the relational care needs of residents, including minimum care standards in each province. Quality working conditions mean quality care.
- Accountability: Improve transparency on how public funds are used and allow tracking for how funding provided has been spent to improve quality, oversight and access.
- Take profit out of LTC: Enforce standards of quality and accountability to severely curtail profit incentives and eliminate options to use public funds to generate profit. Invest in new non-profit beds.
How you can help
- Send a letter to your MP asking them to champion national LTC standards. Click here to use our letter-writing tool.
- Help us trend on social media by posting using the common hashtag #LTCstandardsNOW. Here are some ideas:
- Post a video or written testimony on our Facebook page of your LTC experience or talk about a loved one in LTC.
- Lay a virtual flower in honour of a life lost in LTC on social media. Post the image of a flower along of the name of who you are honouring.
- Download and print our poster, fill it out with your reason for national standards, and post a picture of yourself holding it.
- For Twitter users, tweet to @BCHC so we can retweet you!