We are at a remarkable moment for health care in B.C.--there are some amazing opportunities to make big strides toward better care, and there are also serious challenges to our health and wellbeing.
That's why it is the perfect time to come together, share our learnings, strategize, and organize together toward better care for all.
The BC Health Coalition 2017 Conference is this year's regional gathering which will bring together many organizations and individuals throughout the province working toward strong public health care in B.C. The 2017 Conference will take place in Vancouver, BC (Coast Salish Territories) and on October 27th and 28th, 2017.
What: The conference is an opportunity to connect with organizers, researchers, community members like you through a series of talks, workshops, and breakouts. Sessions will range from reconciliation and health care; resisting the privatization of seniors care; lessons from rural communities organizing for better access to care; winning a public drug plan; and lots of skills-building opportunities including storytelling, messaging, lobbying your MLA, and building teams.
When: The conference timeline (specific agenda to come shortly) is Friday, October 27 is starting at 11am registration and lunch, 12pm until 4:30pm sessions (with casual social event from 5-7pm) and Saturday, October 28 from 8:30am to 3:00pm (which includes our Annual General Meeting towards the end of the day).
Where: Jewish Community Centre, 950 41st Ave W, Vancouver, BC V5Z 2N7. The conference is held on the occupied, unceded and ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Coast Salish Nations.
Registration and Fees
Conference fees for individuals and organizations are $0 to $75 sliding scale per person. Conference fees will help pay for venue rental, food, and travel subsidies. No one will be turned away due to lack of funds. Please register by:
- Complete the registration form online, please fill out this online form by clicking here. Alternatively, you can download a printable PDF version here to submit by email or mail.
- Submit payment for the conference online, please click here.
- Alternatively, you may pay with cash or cheque made out to "BC Health Coalition" and mail to: BC Health Coalition, 302-3102 Main Street, Vancouver, BC V5T 3G7.
Travel and Accommodation Subsidy Application
There will also be a travel subsidy for those that need it. Travel subsidy can help cover transportation, accommodation and food. The BC Health Coalition has a limited amount of funds to help our members from around the province attend the provincial conference, but we also want as many people as possible to attend.
To submit a request for a travel subsidy, please indicate so on your registration form.
- Wheelchair accessibibility. The JCC building is fully wheelchair accessible.
- Public transit. The JCC is right off of the 17 and 41/43/44 buses and about a 10 minute walk from the Oakridge-41st Ave Skytrain Station. To plan your trip, use the Translink Trip Planner by visiting translink.ca.
- Parking. The JCC has a large parking lot monitored by Diamond Parking.
- Child care. If you require or would like child care provided during the course of the conference, please indicate so on your registration form. We will do our best to accommodate all requests.
- ASL interpretation. If you require or would like sign language interpretation provided during the course of the conference, please indicate so on your registration form. We will do our best to accommodate all requests.
- Gender neutal washrooms. The JCC has two (2) gender neutral washrooms on site.
Are you interested in volunteering? Help us make the conference a huge success! Food, interesting workshops, and good company provided! Click here for volunteer information.
In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact Terrie Hendrickson at email@example.com or 604-681-7945.
We're excited to meet you this October and advance public health care for all!