Date posted: May 12, 2017
Closing date: June 9, 2017
Job type: Full-time permanent
Compensation: $36.96/hour, plus benefits and matching RRSP contributions
Start Date: as soon as possible
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
The BC Health Coalition is looking for an experienced organizer to work with coalition members on our campaigns to strengthen public health care in BC (pdf version).
The Organizer works with a passionate community of public health care advocates across the province and a small but mighty staff team of 3 to strengthen and defend public health care. From advocating for better seniors care at the community level, to fighting a legal challenge against medicare, to meeting with elected officials to propose policy change, the Organizer position plays a vital and exciting role..
If you've got a talent for building relationships with people and organizations, a quick strategic mind, and a passion for helping people to take action for a better health care future, this position could be for you.
We welcome and value the contributions individuals who identify as members of equity seeking communities bring to our organization, and encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people identifying as LGBTQI, members of visible minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply. We recognize that this list is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for employment equity.
- Participate in daily strategic decision making around emerging health care issues and campaign activities
- Develop and coordinate short-, mid-, and long-term campaigns with coalition partners
- Coordinate our social media presence to engage with members and the public on health care issues
- Design print and online communications materials
- Maintain NationBuilder database and websites
- Act as spokesperson, as required
- Identify, recruit and work with local leaders/volunteers on coalition campaigns
- Maintain institutional relationships and form new connections with partner organizations/stakeholders
- Organize events and activities in communities, such as public forums, press conferences, etc., which occasionally includes traveling outside the Lower Mainland
- From time to time, support and coordinate other staff people
- A demonstrated passion for public health care, social services and engagement;
- Experience in a campaign setting (political or non-profit);
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Self-directed, self-motivated, and ready to take initiative in identifying gaps and finding and implementing solutions, involving other team members as needed;
- Willingness to test ideas and step outside your comfort zone;
- Well organized and comfortable working with online technologies such as Google docs, Skype, Facebook, Google Hangouts, shared calendars, etc.;
- Previous experience using Customer Relationship Management ("CRM") software, such as Salesforce or Nationbuilder.
Bonus points if you have:
- Graphic design skills
- Policy analysis experience
The BC Health Coalition (www.bchealthcoalition.ca) is a provincial network of organizations and individuals that champion the protection and expansion of Canada's universal public health care system. Founded in 1994 as a consensus-based non-partisan organization, we work to build diverse support and engagement in our campaigns through outreach, education and action.
The BC Health Coalition is a unionized work environment. Staff report to the Steering Committee and are covered by a collective agreement.
If you're interested in this position and meet the requirements please e-mail a resumé and a one-page cover letter detailing why you'd like to work with us.
Please send this email with the subject line "Application: Organizer" to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a continuous basis until posting closes June 9th.
When submitting your application please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as: "Ann_Li_Letter.pdf" and "Ann_Li_Resume.pdf."
The BC Health Coalition thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.